Monday 22 April 2013

Pizza Twists


A little foodie post today.
I didn't have any time for sewing this weekend as I spent Saturday tidying the garden after the high winds of last week and cooking snacks for the church bring and share meal yesterday.

I made pizza twists at the request of my youngest son. I usually make Marmite and cheese twists - which are yummy, but for a change we made a pizza version. These are easy to make the day before and kids love them. it's safe to say that the whole lot were gone in a matter of minutes!

Ingredients
Bread base
900g strong flour
2 teaspoons of dried yeast
2 teaspoons of sugar
2 teaspoons of salt
4 tablespoons of oil
600ml warm water

Filling
(pizza version)
Tomato puree
Pepperoni
Grated cheese (I used a mix of cheddar and mozzarella)
oregano
Chopped up black olives
( I didn't measure these ingredients out, I just guessed)

Marmite version
1 tablespoon of Marmite mixed with 1 tablespoon of warm water
Grated Cheddar cheese.

Method:
  • Make up the bread dough - you can do this on the dough setting of a bread maker.
  • Dissolve the sugar and yeast in the warm water and allow to activate for 10 minutes.
  • Mix the yeast mixture with the rest of the bread ingredients and knead well (I leave my Kenwood mixer to do this).
  • Cover the dough and leave in a warm place until it has doubled in size.
  • Halve the dough and lightly knead. Roll each piece out on a lightly floured board until each piece is about 30 x 40 cm in size.
  •  
  • Now add the topping to one of the dough 'rectangles'.
  • If you're making the Marmite version spread the watered down Marmite evenly over the surface and cover with a medium layer of grated cheese.
  • If making the pizza version spread tomato puree over the rectangle, top with pepperoni (I cut my slices into 4 to make them smaller and easier to twist later), herbs, olives and cheese.
  • Cover with the second layer of dough - like a giant raw sandwich.
  • I often use the rolling pin just to even the layers and help the layers stick together by rolling gently over the top.

Now make the twists.
  • Cut the dough into strips about 2 cm wide and10-15 cm long (they do stretch).
  • Take each strip and twist it two or three times before placing on a baking sheet. I cover my baking sheets with parchment, but a lightly oiled and flour dusted baking sheet works just as well.

Bake in a preheated oven about 200 degrees (190 fan) or gas 6. for about 15 minutes until golden and the cheese is bubbling.

Leave to cool on a rack and just try to keep your hands off!

My daughter also decided to make fairy cakes for the bring and share lunch - but I got distracted and didn't take anymore photos.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...