Saturday, 6 July 2013

The Lucinda Skirt - Be My Goth




I was overwhelmed when Parnuuna from Be My Goth asked me to test her skirt pattern. unfortunately I've had so many things to complete it's taken me a while to get around to making it.

I cut it out two weeks ago and have just finished it. I made my version as a wearable muslin in black stretch poly as I wanted to see how well the skirt went together before making it in a nice suiting - so what's the verdict?

The Lucinda pattern is superb; I especially love the high paneled waist and gathered pockets (although I might omit those on a work version). The drafting is spot on and the sizes exactly matched the measurements given. I ended up grading from one size on the waist to a size larger on the hips as i'm more pear shaped. This worked fine, although i might take a little more off of the waist for a really close fit. I also added some rigiline boning into the facing at the waist to help keep the high waist in shape.

The instructions for printing and assembling the pattern are excellent and accompanied with photo illustrations in the tutorial.

Things I'd like to see - the pattern doesn't include seam allowances and It would be good if it did. I also needed to shape the added hem allowance on the skirt and didn't. as it's tapered the hem was actually smaller than the edge of the skirt, so adding a slight flare to the seam allowance would ensure that the hem will sit evenly when it's stitched in place.

I love this skirt and I will definitely be making it again - in a nicer fabric. I plan to make a matching jacket and trousers so I have several suit combos for work.

Thank you Parnuuna for sharing this with me.

Sorry for lack of detail on photos - I hate photographing black!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...