Wednesday 26 August 2015

Refashioned: Jeans to Jacket


I recently made a denim jacket. I had been hoarding old pairs of jeans from my hubby and kids and was considering what to make from them. I've always wanted a denim jacket but wanted a biker style version.


I used Burdastyle 03/2012 #115. I had already cut the pattern out, intenting to refashion a tweed coat, but did not have enough fabric. left off the pockets and shoulder tabs.


I omitted the lining and overlocked the internal seams and top stitched the seams with a contrasting colour. the facing edges were bound using home made bias binding.


The jacket bodice was made from a selection of my husbands old jeans. I particularly like the dark blue denim. I love the look of worn denim. The sleeves came from an old pair of my son's jeans. the had a torn knee. I patched this and made sure it was not on a stress point in the  garment. I like the contrast colour against the denim.


The metal zip came from my stash. not sure where i got it from originally, but shortening it to the right length was a real pain.


I have worn this jacket loads with my long dresses, black jeans etc. But never with my jeans! double denim - eugh!

6 comments:

  1. It's a fantastic jacket Claire! I love the durability/utilitarian look of it and how the pieces tell stories (of sore knees?!)

    I'm pretty sure I've worn double denim (the shame!), and it wasn't the 80s either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing refashioning, Claire!!! You are very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw this on threading my way blog. Amazing. I love a good refashion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great jacket Claire, you did a fantastic job with this :)

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your refashion! It's good to know there are fabric resources that don't necessitate big expense yet provide awesome opportunity. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...