Monday 31 August 2015

X wrap dress in Jersey.




 I've had my eye on this burdastyle dress since I first recieved the edition of Burdastyle, back in 2014. I think this magazine has to be my favourite as there are so many patterns in it I like.

I decided to make the dress in Jersey, and chose a softly draping cotton jersey with printed polkadots.
I made the dress up in size 36, which is a size smaller that I usually make. but checked the measurements and decided that the style and fabric would work in the smaller size. I ommitted the zip too.

I did have to be careful with the fabric to avoid it stretching out, especially on the bias seams - which there are a few of in this pattern. I sewed the dress on my Vintage Bernina machine, using a narrow zigzag stitch and finisheing the seams with the overlocker. I have some intermittent tension issues with my machine, so didn't want to sew all the seams on it.

I was glad of the illustrated instructions for this dress. I often make dresses, following my own tried and tested construction sequence, but as this dress has the draped front I needed to follow the construction order more carefully. As a visual person I prefer illustrations rather than written instructions.

The neckline is quite low, so I wore a black vest top underneath. I've worn the dress with leggings and without and it's very comfy. It looks good on its own and with a cardigan, perfect for an autumn transitional piece.

Photos were tricky as it was really windy the other day when my daughter photographed the dress for me.

2 comments:

  1. Love it. SSB. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember the last time I made myself a dress! Yours is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...