Friday 13 January 2012

The Movie Project 2012 No 1 - Audrey Refashion.


I've had this fabric sitting in my stash for a couple of months. It was a table cloth! I loved the pattern, but felt it too sheer, so I've teamed it with a lemon cotton for a lining.

After the debacle that was my first pattern magic attempt I decided to go for something simpler and more classic. As I've set myself the challenge of creating outfits inspired by the movies I thought it was about time I made something for that.

In Sabrina Fair
I just love Audrey Hepburn's style (and I know I'm not the only one). She is the queen of the boat neck, and I drew inspiration from these pieces.

The beautiful boat neck wedding dress.

The style is so flattering - as long as you're not too top heavy and is classy and elegant to boot.

Audrey's Oscar dress - even the fabric looks similar!

I used a self drafted bodice. I used Aldrich's Metric Pattern Cutting, but having made up pieces to my exact measurement as directed I found that there was too much ease for this style and adapted a smaller size which would give me about 6cm ease on the bust rather than 10cm. It gave a much closed fit and suited the style better. I added waist darts and rotated the bust dart into the armscye.


I used the edge of the front neckline as the lowest point on the neck edge and made a slight curve to make the shoulders about 4cm wide. The back neck is a gentle V shape, which eliminated the need for the back dart.
The skirt was a simple gathered rectangle and a lapped zipper at centre back.

I even got to use my new overlocker - Woo Hoo.

Costs:
Fabric - gifted table cloth £0
Zip - £1.10
Thread - from my stash
Pattern - self drafted.
= very cheap dress :)

31 comments:

  1. This is adorable - well done! I ♥ an Audrey style. Pinned it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love its simplicity. Classic, and versatile. (And I love Audrey anyway.) Great job on the self draft!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent job! You just can't go wrong with Audry Hepburn for inspiration! Drafting is something I want to learn. Would you recommend the book you mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the book is great. Very easy to follow.

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful! Very Audrey Hepburn, and that tablecloth is a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever to be able to do this without a pattern and all with materials you had on hand. You've got the Audrey Hepburn look just right!!! I would love for you to share this dress (and any others you've made) at my ongoing linky that's just for Women's Dresses... http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/01/threading-your-way-dresses-for-women.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. so adorable!

    www.notimefortea.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so clever and super stylish. What an amazing dress - you're very a very talented needlewoman to rustle that up. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! Amazing that you can just make a beautiful dress like that! Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - gorgeous dress and so impressive that the only real cost was the zip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very clever - pattern cutting is beyond me. Well done you for a very successful dress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, it looks great!
    I'd love to see more movie-inspired dresses :)
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made a great looking dress. Congratulations on the self drafted pattern. Looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is absolutely gorgeous! You have such talent! I'm going to check out that book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing coolness! Huge well done on that creation!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the neckline on your dress, I'm so impressed that you self drafted! I'm a fan of Audrey's style too, so classic. I've popped in from Threading My Way's linky.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How lovely dresses inspired by movie icons - love it. A very classy make

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is just beautiful! You did an amazing job! I love Audrey Hepburn, I think perhaps the most classic and elegant woman ever! I would love to be able to wear that style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hubert de Givenchy has a lot to answer for! You damask fabric makes a very classy fabric for you to work with and the results are gorgeous. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful dress and stunning fabric - can't believe it was once a tablecloth!!

    Love the dark blue sash waist too.

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful dress, well done. It's a great style and very flattering.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is beautiful, love the added blue ribbon. I'd love to wear something like that, let us know when it has its first outing, I'm sure it will turn heads!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made a pattern this week, but it didn't contain any darts or gathering. I accept your challenge, but please wait until 2013 for me to show a result as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow - you are very clever! I wouldn't kno where to start with dress making, let alone make up my own pattern!
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Simple, beautiful,and timeless like Audrey herself.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful dress!! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are so talented! Lovely dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. How pretty! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...