Wednesday, 30 October 2013


I've been super busy making art today. This is part of my fundraising for China next year. I'm going with international China Concern. 

I'm selling these pieces they are all priced between £20 -£50. Unmounted. (Please excuse photo quality. I've had to use my phone today.)

Email me if you'd like to buy one. 

I'm also auctioning 4 large paintings. Sealed bids - send me your bid by email by 5pm GMT on Saturday 2nd November. Winners will be highest bid, plus postage/shipping. All are 120 by180 cm approx.
1. Egress

2. Greater and lesser

3. Temporal


Monday, 28 October 2013

Now that's Cowl!

This is a quick refashion I did today. It's the first time I've worked with knit fabrics and the results aren't perfect, but they are wearable.

I got the skirt at my last clothes swap, but it was a small size 8 and was rather too tight at the waist. I thought it might make a nice cowl dress - I was going to do one with Kimono sleeves, but there wasn't enough fabric.

I've been on the lookout for a cowl pattern in jersey and low and behold there was one in this month's Burdastyle magazine. (11/2013 #112) I traced off the pattern and made up the dress. it was rather too big at the waist and lacked definition, so I took about two inches off at the waist on both sides.

Not bad for a first go - I'm thinking this will be paired with leggings, boots and my teal coloured cardigan.

Friday, 25 October 2013

Come on baby light my fire - well my lantern anyway

I was fortunate enough to get a place on the lantern making workshop, run by the Bait project at Woodhorn Museum. I've never made a lantern before, although I've done a little bit or work with wiillow, but not very successfully.  This was opportunity to learn some tricks from the professionals before working on the project with a group of students at school next half term.

We learnt how to cut the willow safely and a few tips on joining pieces securely.
A wire loop is attached for hanging the lantern.

The Tissue paper is cut to size before gluing on. This is not just ordinary tissue - its called wet strength tissue as it's less likely to disintegrate when wet and dries taught and strong.

The PVA glue is watered down and sponged onto the covered table, before the tissue paper is laid on it, covered with glue and then very carefully applied to the frame.

One layer of tissue is applied, before the decoration is added - in our case we used black craft paper. then another layer of the tissue is added - sandwiching the design between the two layers.

These lanterns looked stunning, and although they were a little soggy to take home, the final dried versions look great. I cant wait to do these with my students.

Friday, 11 October 2013

Spinning Plates.

That's what it feels like I've been doing this week. Work is soooooo busy and getting time to keep up with the blog is rather difficult at the moment. It can feel like my creativity is being sucked out of me at times - which I find very frustrating!

I am sewing in short bursts and am still working on the jacket I started  way back in August. it's slow going and I'm sick of the sleeves! One went in perfectly and the other - it's just rubbish. no matter how I adjust it it's wrong. I think I might have stretched the fabric after setting it and resetting it so many times. I'm going to give it one more go, then whatever it looks like will have to do!

I'm also in the process of sewing 9 bodices for a scene in Phantom of the Opera, which is the school performance this year. They are basted together - lining fabric only. I'll check fit on Monday and then I can start with the shell layer - Satin! ugh!

I have a few other projects in the back of my mind, My Daughter wants a particular costume and i've yet to start on that. Must do it this week! - what do you think? Pretty?

I have some clothes for the Swap last month that need a refashion and I'm beginning to think about what I'll do. I also have the Anna Pattern and have to get some good fabric to make it up in.

Saturday, 5 October 2013

Challenge, Creativity and and Charity

I've been away from my blog for the last month or so - it seems like work has consumed all my life and is starving me of creativity. In a bid to bite back I'm using my creative outlets as a way to raise much needed finds for my trip to China next year to join a short term team with International China Concern. On the 26th October I'll be teaching my first sewing class, learning how to make a simple top. there are still a couple of places if you are interested! and on the 30th of October I will be undertaking a 24hr paintathon. where I will make art for 24 hours solid. I did this several years ago and it is no mean feat, particularly at 3 in the Morning.

So from 9am on the 30th to 9am on the 31st I'll be painting, drawing, printmaking and offering those who visit a chance to see art in action and perhaps make their own unique piece of art!

This will be a sponsored event, and i'll be selling the work produced, also to raise funds for the trip. I'd love it if you could consider partnering with me or would like to come and see what I do. Please contact me by email if you'd like to do this.

I'm also taking commissions for portraits and a special rate of £40 or an original graphite drawing, so if you're after a special gift for someone this could be your opportunity!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...