Monday, 31 August 2015

X wrap dress in Jersey.

 I've had my eye on this burdastyle dress since I first recieved the edition of Burdastyle, back in 2014. I think this magazine has to be my favourite as there are so many patterns in it I like.

I decided to make the dress in Jersey, and chose a softly draping cotton jersey with printed polkadots.
I made the dress up in size 36, which is a size smaller that I usually make. but checked the measurements and decided that the style and fabric would work in the smaller size. I ommitted the zip too.

I did have to be careful with the fabric to avoid it stretching out, especially on the bias seams - which there are a few of in this pattern. I sewed the dress on my Vintage Bernina machine, using a narrow zigzag stitch and finisheing the seams with the overlocker. I have some intermittent tension issues with my machine, so didn't want to sew all the seams on it.

I was glad of the illustrated instructions for this dress. I often make dresses, following my own tried and tested construction sequence, but as this dress has the draped front I needed to follow the construction order more carefully. As a visual person I prefer illustrations rather than written instructions.

The neckline is quite low, so I wore a black vest top underneath. I've worn the dress with leggings and without and it's very comfy. It looks good on its own and with a cardigan, perfect for an autumn transitional piece.

Photos were tricky as it was really windy the other day when my daughter photographed the dress for me.

Wednesday, 26 August 2015

Refashioned: Jeans to Jacket

I recently made a denim jacket. I had been hoarding old pairs of jeans from my hubby and kids and was considering what to make from them. I've always wanted a denim jacket but wanted a biker style version.

I used Burdastyle 03/2012 #115. I had already cut the pattern out, intenting to refashion a tweed coat, but did not have enough fabric. left off the pockets and shoulder tabs.

I omitted the lining and overlocked the internal seams and top stitched the seams with a contrasting colour. the facing edges were bound using home made bias binding.

The jacket bodice was made from a selection of my husbands old jeans. I particularly like the dark blue denim. I love the look of worn denim. The sleeves came from an old pair of my son's jeans. the had a torn knee. I patched this and made sure it was not on a stress point in the  garment. I like the contrast colour against the denim.

The metal zip came from my stash. not sure where i got it from originally, but shortening it to the right length was a real pain.

I have worn this jacket loads with my long dresses, black jeans etc. But never with my jeans! double denim - eugh!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...